1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Black Spots on Combs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chapulina, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chapulina

chapulina New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    I think this may be frostbite? It's just on the tips of their combs. I'm wondering if there is anything I should do about it. Will it go away? I feel bad for my young little hens - just 7 months old.

Thanks for your feedback!!

2. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Could be-if you post pictures, more people could help. In my experience, most black tips will slough off. Depending on how far down the black goes, you may hardly notice, or it could be pretty significant.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Mine have those little black spots too! Here I got through the really cold weather, not a problem, feeling pretty smug, then it warmed up enough to thaw..... and got cold just before morning.... and the little black dots..... the points of the comb, might fall off, or be slightly distorted.... but it never has seem to bother mine.

Mrs k

4. chapulina

chapulina New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    O.K., thanks for the reassurance. I should have thought about posting a pic., but I feel pretty sure it's frostbite from the sub-zero temps. we had a few weeks back. I didn't notice the spots until about a week after the super cold spell. It doesn't go down very far on the comb; hoping it will just mend o.k.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by