Black spots on hen's comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by K-12 Chickens, Oct 25, 2010.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My one Isa Brown hen has black spots on her comb. I peeled it off and it started bleeding a little bit. My other Isa brown hen also has black spots on her comb but they are a lot smaller. What is this from? [​IMG] My Grey leghorn has huge a comb but so far has not had this problem. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChicknCharm

ChicknCharm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Alpine
    Hello!
    There are most likely several explanations for the spots. I can offer one possible reason. I have noticed with my chickens when one gets a peck on her comb, it results in a little black or darkish spot. It could be your hens got a little at uppity at feeding time and took a peck at each other. Combs do seem to be a favorite target. Also, if you have a rooster, I have seen ours grab a comb when he is upset or overly amorous with a hen.

Hope that helps!

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Since it bled when you removed it, it is most likely a scab from a pecking injury. Very common.

4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info![​IMG] The Isa brown(her name is Velvet) with the black spots seems to be not very high in the pecking order. The Grey Leghorn(her name is Snowbell) is almost at the top of the pecking order. This may be why Velvet has lots of black spots while Snowbell has none.

5. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Could be fowl pox. Two of mine had it and are recovered. They never acted sick. I vaccinated the rest.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My first thought was fowl pox. I let it run its course; now they are immune for life. But scabs from pecking are also possible, of course.

7. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    haha i was about to post the same question luckily i looked here first

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by