Black spots on my chickens combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imtethered, Oct 23, 2011.

1. imtethered

imtethered Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    One of my Hens as well as my Roo has black spots on their rose combs. I havent been able to find any info on this other than frost bite and the temps are not low enough for that. Should I be worried about it?

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It could be fowl pox. Without a picture it's hard to tell. Type fowl pox into the BYC search bar, there's alot of info. Hope this helps.

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Sounds like the ladies have been fighting a bit - you can try a red light bulb in the coop to settle things down.

4. imtethered

Aug 22, 2011
    I uploaded a pic but I'm not sure how to go any further ...

5. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Search here on BYC... "mites on combs" or "fowl pox"... search "fowl pox" on the internet as well for pictures. Mites can be treated, fowl pox just has to run it's course.

Pick up the chicken and rub the black spots, see if it is dried blood or dirt... or, if it looks like a scab, a sore.

Check for mites under the wings, on the vent, etc. as well.

(highlight copy and paste the link to the picture (not the thumbnail))... paste it into here, into your comments/post.)

Good luck.

6. imtethered

Aug 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

Heres hoping this works

7. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    looks like pox to us. we are going through the same thing right now! they say there is nothing you can do but let it run its course.

8. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    This does not look like pox at all to me. It looks 100% like fighting pecks. Could be from a bit of overcrowding or stress, but could also be just from pecking order determination... Avian Pox looks much larger than this, there are some good photos around and even a BYC page on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

9. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    it may just be fighting pecks and lets hope that is all it is, but this is what my chickens started out looking like! just my 100% opinion!

10. imtethered

Aug 22, 2011
    The spots dont rub off. All the chickens seem robust healthy and are all eating well. I checked all their feet and there isn't any scaling. After reading all I could find and looking at the pics on the internet I'm ruling out Pox, none of the spots look similar to what I saw in the pics and there are none of the other symtoms. I'm leaning towards pecking spots ar maybe even mites. If it's mites is there anything organic I can use to treat them? Sauve or something similar?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by