Black spots on pullets' combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunshineMary, Dec 31, 2016.

1. SunshineMary

SunshineMary Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My nine-month old pullets have suddenly got black spots on their combs. I'm wondering if anyone knows what these are. Is it frostbite?

We live in Michigan and have a 10 x 10 coop and 10x10 covered run for nine chickens. The temperatures have been in the 20s at night lately. Previously we had temperatures around 0° and I didn't notice these black spots at that time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otherwise they look healthy and are acting normal. They aren't usually aggressive with each other, but since we have been keeping them confined to their coop and run lately after a hawk attack, I have noticed a little bit of scuttling and chest bumping here and there among them. I have not seen any pecking behaviors.

We checked their vent area and I could not detect anything that looked like mites or lice.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks like pecking sores.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Those look for the most part like pecking scabs.

On the comb of the last pullets pictured, they may be something else. I cannot tell you the name of it because I don't know, although I've had these mysterious black dots show up on rooster combs in my flock over the years. It is not fowl pox.

I do know they are harmless, and after I paint Blu-kote on them, they quickly disappear.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by