black spots on roosters comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happyredstarhen, Dec 8, 2013.

1. happyredstarhen

happyredstarhen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Still learning about my flock but I noticed there's black spots on my roosters comb that wasn't there before is he Ok? All info welcomed

2. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I have several roosters that get black spots on their combs from fighting with each other. The spots are actually scabs from the pecks. Definitely keep an eye on your rooster, though, in case it's something else. If they grow larger quickly, or start turning another color, or get wet or weepy like an infection, then I would start to worry it's something else.

3. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013

I have just the one rooster and 6 hens the tips of his comb are black could it be anything else?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If the tips of the comb are black it could be frostbite. He may lose that part of the comb.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of the comb? If it is frostbite it may be of help to show others what to look for. Be sure and provide overhead ventilation high up in your coop even in very cold weather to help remove humidity, and also keep the coop floor as dry as possible. It is moisture more than cold that causes frostbite.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The black parts could be scabs from fighting or being scratched by something; chickens get those all the time. Or, it could be frostbite, which is relatively common in cold weather with large-combed birds. Frostbite is more likely to happen when there isn't enough ventilation in the coop, when there is a steep temperature drop (warm day to really cold night), or when the birds get their combs wet when drinking water. All of those things can cause moisture accumulation on the comb, with frostbite being the result.

Frostbite can be painful to a chicken, but as long as it doesn't start an infection or get too severe, most birds with frostbite heal up just fine. They may lose a couple points on their comb, or even the whole comb, though. I'd think about providing some supplemental heat to your chickens and changing their watering system, as well as keeping the litter in the coop drier.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like it could be frostbite to me. Injuries and dried blood can also cause black spots, but if only the comb points are black, frostbite is more likely. Has it been cold where you are (28 F and lower)? To prevent more frostbite, you can try putting some petroleum jelly on the comb.

8. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013
    It has been quite cold here I put a heat lamp up in the coop for them and I will try the petroleum jelly for there combs here is pic of his comb its not a very good one sorry[​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Can't see it very well in the photo, but yes, it does look like frostbite to me. The heat lamp and petroleum jelly should help, but you may just have to accept the fact that he will lose some of his comb this winter--sometimes nothing (besides heating the entire coop) can prevent frostbite.

10. happyredstarhen

Sep 23, 2013

Ok thank you for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by