Black spots on skin of plucked turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Sierrab, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Sierrab

Sierrab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    We raised a white feather turkey and a brown feather turkey last summer and plucked both of them. The white one was fine but the brown one had black (dark) spots on the skin. We didn't like that so we ended up grinding the meat only from that turkey.
    We are at the point this year to decide if we want to raise turkeys this year.
    Is there a way to avoid/prevent the dark spots on the skin?

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Some darker varieties like Bronze and others will stain the skin and leave little black spots on the skin, completely harmless and still edible. If you don't like the looks of that you need to look for varieties that don't have this issue. I believe it is due to the color of the feathers quill

I raise Bourbon Reds and they have dark brown feather but white quill and they dress out very clean looking.

3. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Are those black spots from where the feathers came out?
    If so its only the coloring ink that feeds the feathers.
    No problem eating and once it browned you can't see it anyway.

What I do is I keep the cleaner ones as a whole and the dirtier looking ones I cut up into pieces before freezing.

4. Sierrab

Sierrab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    We deep fried the turkey and the spots were very prominent. We ended having to discard the skin :(, the best part of a deep fried turkey.
    I was just hoping there was a way to clean them.
    I guess we will have to do as mentioned and raised turkeys without dark quills. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by