Black spots on the comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jakell2010, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    My girls have been fighting a respiratory issue, ( lost one) eyes filled with crud then she had difficulty breathing, now I have just one hen that has spots on her comb, other than that she seems fine ,

Any ideas,,,I am beginning to hate having to post here, everything seems to predate something bad happening

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Do the spots look like scabs? Are they anywhere else? Do a search for avian pox and pull up some pictures.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds to me like fowl pox. [​IMG]

I'm sorry you have to keep posting here too.. Nothing worse than having sick chickens.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to tell without pics, but the most common cause of black spots is pox. The kind we`re talking about is dry pox and will run it`s course and all will be well. They will have pustules and black spots and be ugly for a few weeks, then it will clear up.......Pop

5. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Yes they look like little black scabs,,,she's acting quite normal,,,but at this rate I will not have to worry about my birds making it thru the winter,,it's the too the winter that's the issue

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Research fowl pox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by