Black spots on the combs and waddles

CrimsonTide248

Songster
11 Years
Aug 11, 2008
Bay Minette
I have a couple of layers that have some black spots on their combs and waddles. Have any of you ever had this before? Is there any way to get rid of them?

I had a few last year with black marks on combs and wattles - it was from the freezing cold. Frost bite.
Had any freezing weather where you are?

Or perhaps they're pecking at each other?

It could also be fowl pox, hopefully the dry kind. It's very common, a viral infection sort of like warts. Very LOW mortality rate - the wet kind has high mortality. Wet pox is much less common but would also produce sores/bumps inside the mouth and throat.

You are in Bay Minette - I doubt it's frost bite... My guess is dry pox. If you post pics, you will get more definitive answers.

Can you get rid of fowl pox if that is what they have? Is it something that goes away by itself? They are dry and they dont seem to bother them at all.

Quote:
I understand it tends to run its course and then just go away. Of course, if they are sick with something else, it's just another thing that's disrupting their systems. Just watch for any lesions that look pussy/infected, otherwise they should just "disappear" over a few weeks.

My rooster had the fowl pox about 3 months ago on his big, beautiful comb. Now his comb looks so perfect he looks almost like a plastic cartoon chicken!!!
tongue.png
It should go away fine on its own. You might keep an eye out for lesions around the eyelid, sometimes if they scratch them it can lead to complications (they can scratch their own eye and irritate it, it will want to stay closed - you may need some Terramycin eye ointment if that happens).

I have a new serama roo I just got yesterday that has overnight development black scabs only, they look EXACTLY like the ones my 4 month old roo died from 4 months ago. I bleached literally everything except the yard. None of my other chickens ever got it and he acted totally normal, spending the day he died with me all day. I came home that night and he was dead. No wartlike lesions just black scabs that started covering his face, comb, and waddles. Is that fowl pox? If so why is it just black scabs without lesions? Everything I've read about and pics I've seen about fowl lpox says they look like white wartlike lesions first. What do I do with my new boy??? I don't want to loose him too!

I have a new serama roo I just got yesterday that has overnight development black scabs only, they look EXACTLY like the ones my 4 month old roo died from 4 months ago. I bleached literally everything except the yard. None of my other chickens ever got it and he acted totally normal, spending the day he died with me all day. I came home that night and he was dead. No wartlike lesions just black scabs that started covering his face, comb, and waddles. Is that fowl pox? If so why is it just black scabs without lesions? Everything I've read about and pics I've seen about fowl lpox says they look like white wartlike lesions first. What do I do with my new boy??? I don't want to loose him too!
Is this a young bird? Or short? He is getting bit by mites. Any one higher and older might not get it as bad. My roos had it too but I just lately found out what it must be. I thought it was from fighting but it was mites cause we had a really bad infestation this year and I had to wash my clothes and hot dry them everyday because of them. Just think what it could do to a young bird. It was due to the hot weather we had. Anyway now the temp is down I am not effected. There was a spray homemade that you can make here and I believe it did help but too late.
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/02/mites-how-to-prevent-them-and-treat.html. couple times a week in the coop and on their rears.
It could be something else so maybe post a pic. thanks
Roos get it worse because of the fleshy combs and waddles not to do with height really.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom