BLACK SPOTS

zuluchicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Witsand, Western Cape, South Africa
Hi All.

My Buff Orpington pullet (6 months old) has black spots on her comb, shakes her head and since this morning also seems to yawn/gulp. All my chickens have been inoculated against pox and Newcastle disease. Any ideas and suggestions for treatment?

Hi All.

My Buff Orpington pullet (6 months old) has black spots on her comb, shakes her head and since this morning also seems to yawn/gulp. All my chickens have been inoculated against pox and Newcastle disease. Any ideas and suggestions for treatment?

The yawn/gulp is her moving food out of her crop to her stomach. The black spots sound like healing peck marks.

Thanx for your quick responce. Do you have an idea who does she shakes her head so frequently - every 20 sec or so. She seems to be OK otherwise.- feeding, drinking regularly.

Got nothing on that one. Never really paid attention to mine to see how often they do it. Do they have access to a dust bathing spot? Maybe she just needs a dust bath.

I'm a relative newbie but I'll weigh in here. We have very healthy hens and from time to time I've notice some black specks on their combs/wattles. Research tells me these are tiny scabs from peck/injuries and as long as they're small and not inflamed, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Time has born out this view, as the tiny spots come and go and they're all happy and healthy. But I worried about it as first, too.

Good luck with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom