Black Star and Red Star... Roosters?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AriadneCastro, Jul 9, 2016.

1. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Hello everybody, I'm very confused here and need opinions. I bought half a dozen of "pure breed laying hens" but two of them, possibly three, are developing worryingly curved tails. I don't see comb or wattle development, plus their faces are still very pink, but that back side is really too curved for my taste. I thought the color would be enough to determine these as females (?) What do you think, do I have a collection of cockerels?

Here's the first one. Matilda or Matthew?
    [​IMG]

Second one. Michelle or Michael?
    [​IMG]

Finally, here's Vicky...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's another picture of Vicky, next to sister Catarina. Those tails are *definitely* different...
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance ***

2. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Here's another couple of photos to help solve the mystery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They're both pullets.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    both pullets

5. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    I sure hope so!! But which ones do you mean? I have doubts about 3 birds, especially those darker ones.

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Black Sex-linked cockerels will be barred and Red Comet cockerals will be white with red bleeding in as they mature, especiall around the shoulders. Too much red on your reds to be cockerals. Your blacks have pullet color. None have comb or wattle decelopment either, indicating pullet.

7. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Thank you, I sure hope you are right. I looked up the color patterns for males/females before posting this thread, but those curly tails are bothering me. I thought of the possibility of the nice lady from the market breeding them herself in some chaotic flock, making them, possibly, 2nd or 3rd generation birds. As far as I've read, the "purity" of Black & Red Stars depends on their parents being pure breed RIR & BR, correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by