1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black star/black sex link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 2, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Is there a difference between the black star and the black sex link??

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    No, some of the hatcheries (McMurray for instance) refers to blk sexlinks as Black Stars.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Black Star is a branding for a black SL. like Kleenex is facial tissue, Tums is an antacid, Chiquita is a banana.

4. kenny44

kenny44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Andalusia alabama
    They are the same, and very friendly bird. I have 13 and they are the best, and Im new with chickens, but Ill always have black stars in my yard. You will be glad you have Black Stars!!!

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are the same.

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    ok now that is settled now I have another question.

Does the pullet ever have white on its head and wings before it changes to all black??

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    A white spot on the head would mean the chick is a male. That's how you tell the females from males at hatch in a black sexlink. The females have no spot. Males have the spot on the back of the head.

This is because of the barring gene. It is passed to the male chicks from their Barred Rock mothers. Hence, they have the head spot. Males will feather out barred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by