Black Star? Have you ever seen this coloring?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KNelly, Dec 11, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    I just got these gorgeous ladies today. The place i went to ordered a bunch of black sex links and hatched them on site. I saw one girl there that was redder than all of them. He said she was a black sex link and that there is a 5% chance of the coloring coming out this way. Is that true? Have you ever seen a BSL like her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is her sister.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised Black Sex Links for years, and while it is very uncommon for them to have that much red in them, it can happen.

4. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I second that, the odd time they will have that much color, I had two that were very bright!

5. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    That's awesome! After a long so far unlucky search for sex links I finally found some today. He had lots that were the traditional colors but I'm a sucker for odd balls. Even if she ended up being something different I'd still love her. I just didn't know they could look like that. She's gorgeous!

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    BSLs are my favorite chickens; hardy, friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised dozens of breeds and hybrids over the past 50 years, and my BSLs have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You will get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never seen a Black Sex-Link with that much orange, but it is definitlely possible. She IS very unique! [​IMG]

8. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Now I need to figure out a unique name for this unique girl. Got nothing so far...

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) names our hens after Disney Princesses. With that much red in her, she would probably call your hen, Ariel. :eek:)

10. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    It's funny you say that. I just colored my hair red a couple months back. I went to visit my niece in Idaho and took her out to Disney on ice. Not even 5 mins of being there I had girls flocking to me asking for my autograph thinking I was Ariel, so i think that name would be perfect. Hahha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by