1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Star Hen broken (?) leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jiminycricket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jiminycricket

jiminycricket New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Black Star hen, approximately 1 year old, don't have a scale....

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She's favoring her left leg, which is swollen and disfigured (see image). She will try to place weight on it, but limps badly. She's eating laying down. She is not very guarded of it, and will allow me to touch it without making too big a fuss.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    about 48 hours

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No bones protruding, but leg is sitting at a funny angle. No cuts, abscesses, or bleeding noted. Area is swollen.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Don't know of anything. They are free-ranging chickens, she could have hurt it getting up/down to/from roosting tree.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She's drinking some, picking the corn scratch out of the dish, leaving the layena pellets alone mostly.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Maybe a touch runny...

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Placed her in a smallish crate away from the rest of the flock with plenty of food and water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Treat myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Well, I tried, but apparently as a new member I can't. If you log into facebook, and search for Nikki Rivers, I've posted it on my wall and made it public. Sorry for the hassle. Essentially it's swollen and sticking out at a funny angle about an inch above where the foot meets the leg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Free-range across 1/2 acre with mixed vegitation (some field, some trees, some groundcover vines), the enclosure (for nighttime safety) is dirt -floored with a mix of pine shavings and leaves, roosts are tree limbs, hutch is wooden with pine shavings.

2. jiminycricket

jiminycricket New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    Could also be mites, I suppose?

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I don't know... I think that if it is at an angle, a wrong angle and it's not at a joint.. it sounds like it may be broken.. but, if it is broken, I don't think she would use it at all.. it would be held up completely, be very painful for her to even touch to the ground?

Also... as free range.. a predator may have tried and failed to get her... or, she may have gotten her leg caught in a tree branch or bush...

I guess that if you are separating her, keeping her quiet, sort of "off the leg"... (in a cage)... giving her some TLC.. food and water... that might be all you can do if it is an injury. You might be able to give her a good, warm bath.. a good Epsom Salts warm bath to soak the leg?

If you don't want to or can't take her to a vet, if she doesn't get better in about a few days to a week.. well.. If it can't be "set", treated, or put back into correct position, it may have pinched blood vessels and the foot may die... (rather quickly).... she really needs a vet if you can do that, in my opinion. Maybe someone else can offer better, more info.

Also, search here on BYC for the term "normal poop"... you will find a link in a thread to a UK site with pictures...

At one year old ... have you wormed? Have you wormed her or the flock? As free range chickens they will be prone to getting worms from the bugs and worms and things they eat. At a year old they are overdue for worming, in my opinion.
    Limping can be a symptom of worms.. not "swelling" or being disfigured, as far as I know... but limping, yes... (too bad we can't see the picture).

Best of luck.

4. jiminycricket

jiminycricket New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice - after bathing and further inspection today, I do believe it is broken. She still has circulation to her toes, but is not moving them spontaneously. I've cleaned and splinted it for now, keeping her on crate-rest, giving her plenty of pellets/oyster shells/goodies from the kitchen, and will check around local vets for pricing. When my brother catches wind, though, I believe we will be having chicken for dinner Saturday. And the great circle of life continues.

Also, I looked up the pictures of "normal" chicken feces- and maintain that hers is a touch runny, but don't see any worms there. What kind of worms are chickens prone to? I've not heard of worming them, though I am new to this. The fella I bought them from didn't mention worming (bought them about a month ago, they were free-ranging at their former home, too).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by