Black Star Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peeps298, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Anyone out there have black star hybrids? Was wondering what your opinion of them is?

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If you mean the black stars or black sex links, they are great! I love mine. They are super friendly, beautiful birds with great personalities and they lay huge eggs. Bigger than any of my other chicken breeds, including red stars and leghorns.

I highly recommend them!! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

sure do. have 3 in my flock. they are too young still to give you a review on the egg laying, as my flock is just now starting to lay,
    but i have read they are great layers. even if they aren't as great as they're cracked up to be, they are great birds! they are some
    of the friendliest girls in my flock, which is probably not as important as the eggs, but it's still kind of important to me. real nice girls.

4. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    I only have one but wish I had more. Really prolific egg layer and very nice to look at with a friendly disposition. I wanted a mixed first flock but the next one may be all BSL's. Maybe with some GC's thrown in for variety.

5. Peeps298

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you guys, that is great to hear. I have 4 coming to me on Nov 18th.....cant wait [​IMG]

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have 26 from MacMurry that were hatched May 29th and just started laying a couple of weeks ago. This is my second go around with them. Will be reliable layers well into their 4th year at least.

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have 5 and they are the only layers I have at the moment. I really like mine, what they lay is sometimes interesting, I get wind eggs alot. Not sure if it is one girl or they take turns but I get up to 4 a week! Then there are the ginormous eggs that I find from time to time, they are literally 3 inches end to end and 6 1/2 inches around! These are only occasionally double yolked! The are all super sweet to people and only a little snitty to each other sometimes. I can catch almost all of them while free ranging with little effort and 2 will simply squat when I reach for them. I love them and highly reccomend them to anyone who wants hard working pets!

8. Peeps298

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Thank you, great to know. I am only starting my flock with 4, but excited to hear the positive feedback and that they lay reliably into their fourth year.

9. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    I think you're going to love them. Usually they have nice personalities and they're great layers.....oh and beautiful. One of the nicest looking sex link breeds in my opinion. The only problem you may have is if you have a milk toast docile hen in with them they might bully her. Our big girls are all pretty ruff and tumble and they be a bit nasty to our Easter Eggers at times....especially one of them... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by