Black Star laid first egg....then stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4LadyFriends, Aug 11, 2014.

1. 4LadyFriends

4LadyFriends New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    [​IMG]Hi! I have 4 hens, all 21 weeks (Buff Orpington, 2 Amerecaunas, Black Star). My Black Star laid her first egg 8 days ago. [​IMG]They are free range but she went back to the coop sometime after 10am (I had already cleaned out the coop and it was empty then) and laid that big beauty right next to my fake eggs in the nesting box. Of course, the whole family was thrilled. We'd been watching the squatting, hearing the egg songs, an watching their combs get super red for weeks before that moment. But then....nothing.[​IMG] No eggs. I kept the whole lady crew in the coop for 48 hours this weekend to see if maybe she was laying secretly in our yard (they are usually out of the coop around 9am for the day). Still nothing. I've searching the backyard. She just hasn't laid since then. [​IMG]And none of the others have either, though 2 are squatting. She seems perfectly happy and healthy. No predator scares. Is this normal? I've heard of chickens laying for a couple weeks and taking a break but after just one egg? I haven't seen any egg shells or yellow beaks so I'm praying it's not an egg eating situation.[​IMG] Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! [​IMG]
    ReplyQuote 0
    Add a comment? (optional)
    Add to ReputationCancel

2. sahmhomesteader

sahmhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    SW Ohio
    I am following this thread. I have 14 hens, all 21 weeks also. One of them laid an egg 3 days ago and none since. Most have bright red combs and squat as well, and I have heard the egg song many times. Still nothing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by