Black Star molting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twandx, Nov 20, 2010.

1. twandx

twandx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    One of my year and a half-old Stars was rapidly losing feathers and ate little. A few days later she died. Does anyone know of possible reason for this? I know chickens usually do not molt with winter coming on - especially here up North, so I'm wondering if it is a hybred cross problem. Other 4 are doing fine and all came from same hatching. They are free range except when snow and cold interferes. Thanks.

twandx

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens DO often molt with winter coming on. I have several in a hard molt and there have been a lot of threads about this recently. I would suspect she died from an internal problem, maybe heart or liver, maybe egglaying like internal layer or eggbound, that sort of thing. Sorry, anyway.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    In addition to what ddawn stated, mites/lice couldve weakened her as well as internal parasites. Visually inspect the rest of your hens for lice/mites and check their poop for worms, especially if you've never wormed them.

4. twandx

twandx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks to those who responded. No lice or internal paracites. Molding not thought to be normal in this part of the country with the harsh winters coming. I'll check the genetic cause out with those who created this highbred

Chicken was part of a group of 5 from Mc Murry Hatchery - has great rep. It was always what one would call the runt of the litter, if that applied to clutches in hatcherys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by