Black Star or Black Andalusians?

golddustmommy

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
MA
This is our second year with chickens, so of course we had to get more! Unfortunately, the place we got them last year is no longer with us, so I had to go to their competitor. They had Black Star and Black Andalusians (yes, black, not blue - this is what they told me. Said they ordered blue but got black). But they were all in the same brooder. I am hoping I got all black star, but I thought I would ask here because new chick-mom paranoia will get the better of me lol I've looked all over the internet, and cannot seem to find pictures of "black Andalusian chicks." It's like they don't exist. And from what I can tell, beak and leg color varies a bit on the black stars, so that was no help that I could tell.

This first one seems to be the loudest - like insanely loud for only like 5 days old - which I read was a trait of the Andalusians.
chick1.jpg

This one has that weird little light tip to the end of her beak. In this picture, it almost looks like a little horn! At first I thought it was chipped, but after inspection it's completely smooth and all there. Please excuse husband's sexy and smooth hands hahaha
chick2.jpg

this one is a tad lighter in color overall, and the only one with all black feet.
chick3.jpg

this one just really doesn't like being held.
chick4.jpg

thanks for any help you can give :)

Last edited:
I find it difficult to believe a hatchery only sent out black Andalusians with no blue or splash mixed in as all three colors will happen when you mate chickens of the blue color variety. But if this is indeed the case then you can tell black sex links and Andalusians apart by the color at the bottom of the feet. If the color there is yellowish or orangish, you've got sex links. If the color there is white or slightly pinkish, you've got Andalusians. Going by that model and from what I can see in the photos, only chick 3 looks like it could possibly be an Andalusian. But photos lie, so check for yourself and good luck!

If the color there is yellowish or orangish, you've got sex links. If the color there is white or slightly pinkish, you've got Andalusians.

THANK YOU! It's hard to tell right now, between looking into the brooder with the red light (turns everything green), and moving to the yellow lights that are in the house. I will double check tomorrow in daylight. 2 definitely have yellow/orange feet, but 2 are a questionable pink/yellow. So as I said, I will double check in the morning. One of the questionable ones is the loud one, and from what I've read the Andalusians are super loud. And she is OH so loud! I'm pretty much convinced at this point that one is an Andalusian. I wanted all sex links, as they lay more and do better in cold weather, but we get what we get! It will be fun getting more than just brown eggs lol

So now that I'm in daylight, It seems they are all yellow. The only one I question is the first one on the left, just because it is so much more pale than the rest. This is the one with all black tops of feet and the white dots near the eyes.
20180318_093719.jpg

20180318_093753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom