Black Star pullets...?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cherokeerainbow, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    I just purchased 4 sexlinks.
    All are the same size, with hardly any comb. Two of them still kinda chirp (like my 3 mos old wyandottes) The others sound more like hens.
    Seller 'forgot' how old they were. Guessed about 16-17 weeks or so. Told me they should be laying soon... (within a week)
    Then someone tells me they won't lay till about week 22-24 or so..?
    Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Hopeing to get a better idea on their age and when I might expect them to begin laying.
    Thank you!

2. TheNo-NameChick

TheNo-NameChick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Some start early at 16 weeks and some don't start until 24 wks or so

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    since you dont know how old, you will just have to wait for an egg! If they have "hardly no comb" they will not be laying in a week. maybe 2 to 4 weeks on the older ones.

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have four Back Sex links that are 18 weeks old tomorrow and all have varying comb/wattle size and color.

One has a rather large red comb and wattles who is laying, another has a little bit smaller red comb and wattles but I am not sure if she is laying yet or not. Then I have one who is just a little pink and then the fourth doesn't even have a hint of pink and her comb and wattles are very small. They seem to vary so much and they are all the same age. I also have Gold Sex links and they all are developing more on par with each other.

It is hard to say when your girls will start laying but when they start turning pink and doing the "squat" it wont be long (1-2 weeks).

5. Cherokeerainbow

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Thank you so much for your help and info! [​IMG]

I guess I'll just have to wait it out! [​IMG]

6. Cherokeerainbow

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Ugh... been 'pink' for almost 2 weeks now and even my rooster has been very busy...but, no eggs.
    I'm pretty sure they're holding out on purpose!
    Perhaps they've gone on strike? I better find some diff snacks to bribe them with then...sheesh!
    The waiting is aweful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by