Black Star Sex Link

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SowdersHomestead, Dec 3, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Would a Black Star Sex Link Roo make a good meat bird? A local breeder sells the roo's for $.15 for day olds. For that price I'd be willing to try and see. If I try this to insure for a more meatier bird could they be feed a hirer protein feed for the full duration?

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They should. They will not come close to matching the true "broilers" in rate of weight gain or feed to meat conversion rate, but they should give you a good dual purpose chicken for meat. I'd suggest not harvesting them until they are at least 15 weeks old so they will be a different texture than the broilers. I think it is age, not breed, that makes that difference. You may need to cook them differently than you would a seven week old broiler.

If you feed them the regular broiler ration, they will grow better than just a regular diet. But the rate of gain per pound of feed will nto be the same as broilers. There is a good chance you will spend more on feed than you save on the basic cost of the chicks. I got red sex link roosters with my last order for this very purpose, but I free range mine. Feed cost is not critical for me.

3. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Thanks. I'm gunna give it a go. We don't free range but we do supplement with grass.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The black pin feathers are a reality. We've butchered many of them. Many folks just skin them to speed up the process. Live weight-around 6 pounds or less.

5. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    I did this ...i ordered 100 straight run red comets...the pullets are the best layers i have ever seen...the roos i fed pastured pen saltin style...and butchered ..i would not do it again...then i ordered the cornish x ....the feed gains far outweighed the priced difference...if you got them free ...buying the cornish would be more profitable....however the stars will taste better...good luck either way

6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:BEST QUOTE I"VE EVER HEARD>>> SO TRUE>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by