black star wing size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jarhead, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    We got a mixed group of chicks and one is a black star (sex link). Her wings are much smaller compared to the other chicks, which are EEs, Australorp, white leghorns, and BR. I mean they are like half the size, not just feathering either. Is this a normal trait for this type of mixed breed chicken?
    Thanks

2. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Scot,

How old is your black star? I have about 23 and they're 3 weeks old and most of them are starting to develop their wing feathers although they all still have a little down. The BS's are all heavies anyways though so hopefully it won't be flying anywhere anyways, but I understand your concern.

Ryan

PS: I'm Army so Hooah/HUA/HUAH or whatever...

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I will try to get some pics of it tomorrow. Her body, head, legs are all proportioned well. Then she has these teeny tiny little wings. Like I said it is not just feathering, the actual wings (bones) are small. Maybe they will catch up at some point, who knows. When we compare her to our other 9 chicks (different breeds, she is our only black star), which all hatched the same day she did, they all have normally proportioned wings. The difference is very obvious. She could just be an odd ball. I am not really worried about it, as she acts totally normal. As a matter of fact even though she is the runt she seems to be assuming the dominant position in the flock. Napoleon complex me thinks [​IMG]

My little brother (the family traitor) [​IMG] was Army and that is his little sound too. The rest of us are Marines and we say OOH-RAH!
    Seriously though, all service members past and present, I have nothing but respect for. I consider all of them my Brothers and Sisters. All the friendly competition is fun though.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My black star is the first that I've noticed to jump in a nest box and act like she wants to do something. She is 18 weeks old now so we are hoping for eggs SOOON!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by