Black star with scratched wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phillychickens, Sep 3, 2014.

1. phillychickens

phillychickens Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    This morning when we went to get our girls out of the coop, one of our young Black Stars had a big scratch on her wing and was bleeding. She's 6 months old, and started laying a couple weeks ago. We have a Wyandotte who was the bottom of the pecking order until the two black star pullets came, and she tends to be very mean to the younger girls. We're not sure--did she scratch the younger one during the night?

Now the younger chicken is walking fine, has eaten a little (although not much) but is preening and preening her injured wing. I'm worried that she's going to further hurt herself, and I have to leave the house for most of the day today.

Should I crate her? Should I try to get a cone for her so she doesn't worry her injury? Should I wash the injury? Somebody mentioned bag balm on another thread--should I put some on the wound?

Help! I'm very attached to all my girls and want to do the right thing.

Thanks in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some sort of antiseptic or antibiotic preparation would be good. Neosporin, BluKote, bag balm -- whatever you have around. If it's dirty you can do some gentle cleaning with saline or mild soap and water first. A crate and cone would also be a good idea, at least for today.

3. phillychickens

May 5, 2013
    Thank you! I went out and bought a crate. I can't get any blukote on her until tonight, when my friend will be home.

What kind of cone works for a chicken? she needs to be able to eat and drink, of course, but not peck her wound.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    After you get her cleaned up see if she's really pecking it or just messing with it cause it feels odd. I would think a cone would stress her greatly.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think Welasharon has a good thought. Maybe she won't bother it enough to be concerned about -- let's hope!

6. phillychickens

May 5, 2013
    Update: She continued to peck it, and this morning it was bleeding very badly. We found a vet who would see her, and it turned out she had a tumor on her wing that got bumped or pecked or something and burst, causing it to bleed. She had surgery today, and the vet tells me she's doing well and even laid an egg. We'll pick her up tonight.

I did try a soft cone made by Kong, but she wriggled out of it. Not sure how we're going to be able to keep her from pecking it while it heals. She has to stay inside for a week or so to reduce the risk of infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by