1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Stars look different.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreenSpirit Hydro, Mar 13, 2009.

1. GreenSpirit Hydro

GreenSpirit Hydro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    I got some Black Star chicks from McMurray. They are about 6 weeks old now and some are solid black while others are getting brown/gold markings on them. Did they send me something else or could these be males?

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Male black sex links or black stars will look like barred rocks. Sounds like you have all pullets.

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Ditto. Some hens just don't have much gold on them.

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    my black stars from McMurray are all nearly completely black except one who is almost all gold. we call her "little red"

i believe black stars are hybrids bred by McMurray, so individuals tend to look different.

sounds like you got all pullets [​IMG] and they are for sure black stars.

compare to mine (all but bottom left corner)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Yep - they are black stars and all pullets. Mine had varying degrees of black and brown also. Most were almost all black, a couple had reddish brown necks, and one was black with red feathering all over her body. Walking Wolf is correct - black sexlink males look like barred rocks.

6. GreenSpirit Hydro

GreenSpirit Hydro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    How old were your McMurray Black Stars when they started laying? Mine are very skiddish compared to the other species, did you notice this as well?

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    are you kidding? mine love me to DEATH! it took them about 2-1/2 months though. try giving them more treats and get them to eat out of your hand. they will eventually associate you with yummy foods, and run to you when they see you.

i give mine cooked corn, old lettuce, canned sweet peas, bread crumbs, bagels, cooked rice, leftover fried salmon, old tomatoes, sugar snap peas (i buy them JUST for the girls), rolled oats (i suggest very few and very rarely), canned veg-all, meal worms, crickets, small slugs & snails, flies i find in the house, moths i find in the shed... i could go on and on.

my girls are spoiled [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I'm not sure how old mine were when they started laying, probably about 6 months. They started off laying puny eggs then got bigger. All my Black Stars are super sweet!!!! As chicks though, they were never really friendly. When they were in the brooder they were always like "I want to get out!" and when they got out, they were just like "leave me alone, I want to forage!". Once they started laying though, they all got very friendly. [​IMG] Non the less, food/treats always do the trick too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by