Black Stars pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AKsmama, Aug 13, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Does anyone with Black Stars notice if theirs tend to peck at you more than other breeds? We have EEs, Cuckoo Marans, and Black Stars, all of whom are 5 weeks old at the moment. When I go hang out with them in the run or coop, it is almost always the BS pecking at my feet or ankles. Most of it is gentle curious-type pecking, but some of the girls come back again and again and again. Usually pushing them gently but firmly away works, but last night there was one persistent girl that would not stop. I ended up putting her on my lap, holding her down, and crowing in her face to try to show her I meant business, but I have no idea if that was the correct thing. She didn't mess with me after that, though [​IMG] Maybe it's just my weirdo chickens!

2. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    I only have one Black Star in my flock of nine but she's one of my more mild mannered birds. She seems very calm and just a little skittish but not pushy at all. She's also getting quite large compared to her contemporaries. Five week old birds are still very young so maybe they are just hungry and don't know your shoes are not food.

3. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Both my black stars are calm and friendly. my red stars even more so!

4. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    We have both Red and Black. I find that the Reds are the ones who go after the toes. Good thing I don't wear nail polish or I'd be in for it!! We love the breed they are so calm and friendly but do get underfoot at times. We have one Black that wants to fly up on your shoulder and right next to you the hold time you're in the run.

Sandee

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    One of my Black Stars is 5 years old and has never been aggressive and is a real sweetheart. The younger Black Star is 1 year old and is the same way. However, my 2 Red Stars that are 1 year old are somewhat aggressive and will sometimes pick/peck on the others just for the heck of it.

6. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    Our two black stars are mild mannered too.

7. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    My blacks tend to peck my reds when it's feeding time, but neither breeds offer to bother me.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We have 5 BSs they are super nice but super curious they peck at every thing not hard just curiosity pecking.

9. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone! We have 16 Black Stars and they are pretty friendly. This one wasn't really being mean, just persistent. Seems like when you get pushed away and make your little surprised "squawk!" several times in a row you'd get it [​IMG] I wasn't sure if it was a breed characteristic or just my batch of birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by