black stars

snowstar5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
I have had two roosters and two hens. my silkie rooster and sultan hen died. but I still had one chicken he is a rooster. his name is Patrick he is a sweet and gentle chicken. so I had just got a black star hen and don't know much about her. when I got her the guy lied to me and said she was a heritage hen that night I looked it up and it said that a heritage hen is just a hybrid. so if you know any thing just tell me. thank you. she is a sweet girl she just layed her first egg yesterday.

Black Stars were probably my favorite of any hatchery bird I've had. As compared to the red hybrids I've had, the Black Stars laid a little less, but still great layers. They also laid larger eggs, but ate a little more. The Black Stars continued to lay longer than the reds. And, I never had any that were mean or skittish.
You will really like her.

thank you she is really nice.
hugs.gif

if any one else would reply that would be nice.
fl.gif
The typical combination to create a Black Star is a Barred Rock x Rhode Island Red chicken, two heritage breeds. Black stars generally are recognized for egg production though from what I have seen posted here not quite as prolific as the Red Star. Our Red Star is our favorite chicken of the flock, she is the most calm and lays the largest both in size and quantity of brown eggs. She puts our pure bred heritage breeds to shame. If your Black Star is anywhere close to the Red Star, she will fast become your favorite chicken I imagine.

We wanted to buy some Black Stars with our last order of hens but unfortunately the hatchery we buy from doesn't sell them.

thank you my hen is getting along great with my rooster thats what i was scared about.

My black star is a bully.She never hurts anyone but always gets first food ,attention, or whatever it is shes after.She is always underfoot cause evidently personal space means nothing to her. Overall quite a personality but hasn't gotten broody like my barred rock.

thank u she has not pecked me yet when i get her eggs but she does peck me if im holding her and my rooster is around.

Back
Top Bottom