black, sticky poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frankenchick, Sep 3, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I have seen isolated bits of black, pudding-like poo in the past, but lately there's a lot more -- as if more chickens are doing it.

The chickens are laying fine (the 5 that are old enough) and act normally.

I feed them 3 c. of DuMor 20% feed daily, and they get a lot of grass and veggies. The seven girls go through about 1.5 gallons of water/day. I add dewormer from The Holistic Horse to their feed.

What's going on? I didn't see anything quite like this on the sites I visited.

2. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Sounds like cecal poo. They do this maybe twice a day. Mine always do it in the coop. Other poo during the day looks normal.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    what is/are the active ingredients in this horse wormer you are giving them?

4. frankenchick

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    It has food-grade DE and flax seed. I think there's some other stuff, just can't recall offhand.

NTYMI, they do "doo" this in the coop.

5. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    This (the flax seed in the product) might be what is causing this ...
    http://www.agronavigator.cz/UserFiles/File/Agronavigator/Kvasnickova/EFSA_kyanogenni slouceniny.pdf
    (FROM THE COMMISSION RELATED TO CYANOGENIC COMPOUNDS
    AS UNDESIRABLE SUBSTANCES IN ANIMAL FEED )
    ".....Cyanic glycosides are found in several common feed ingredients such as sorghum (dhurrin),
    cassava (linamarin), linseed (linamarin) and a number of forage legume species including some
    clovers and grasses............... Linseed is predominantly used as a feed for ruminants....... Linseed cake is toxic to poultry except
    in very small proportions ..........The toxicity can largely be eliminated by soaking the meal in water for twenty four hours or by adding pyridoxin, one of the B-vitamins, to the diet.............."

...note I said "might"... stop using that a few weeks and see if it makes a difference...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Not meaning to take over your post but just have a question.

I know that when I worked in daycare, what we fed the little ones would affect the color of poo. Carrot & sweet potatoes=orange poo, spinach, peas, & green bean=green poo

Is it the same way with chickens. I finally found some more food grade DE around here and have mixed it with their feed. Calls for using a 1lb bucket of DE to 50 lbs of feed. I've noticed that their poo has been a bit white and crust the last few days. Otherwise they are just as rotten as ever, lol.

7. frankenchick

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    dlhunicorn,

We have a lot of red and white clover in the chicken yard. And a coarse grass that they suck down like spaghetti. Your post/quote makes it sound like that may be a problem.

What do you grow in your chicken yard?

8. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    If you want to give DE fine but I would not give that horse wormer if it has flax/linseed in it. Oh dear on the clover and such...

I did a lot of research on poisonous plants and such and made sure I had none of that in my backyard (they have full run of it)...
    The plants I want to ensure they stay out of I put in pots or hanging planters...
    I used to grow spinach...but I noticed they love it and because of the oxalates I do not grow that anymore... (just a very small patch in my front yard where they do not come)... I have endive (under a movable "greenhouse" and they get the "leftovers" )... my yard is just grass... I feed them insect crumble daily (actually this is an insect based softbill Universal feed for non seed eating cage birds) which seems to help quite a bit to deter them from scratching my grass yard to pieces) and mealworms (farmed) on a regular basis...I have flowers and such...(they seem to have a particular liking for my petunias)...they have an area of dirt mixed with bird sand and ash to dust bathe in.
    Here is my collected articles on poisonous plants:
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=toxicologydisease&action=display&num=1165263379

9. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    isnt poop generally black and sticky?

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd ditch the flax seed oil stuff. Let me tell you first hand - that stuff can cause MAJOR bowel problems in people and in animals. Just stands to reason chickens may not handle it well either.

Just my 2C as a totally non-professional...

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by