black stuff on comb overnight - I am a newbie

Nannilovescats

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
Hi Everybody,

I am new. I live in Los Angeles and my neighbor has a rooster and a chicken. They let them roam and they have no shelter. The chicken sleeps in a tree and the rooster I don't really know. He is too big to make it into the tree. I tried to talk my neighbor into building shelter for them many times, they just don't care enough. I like the rooster and chicken. I named them (Emma and Oscar). I also buy proper chicken food for them and feed it between our houses.

This morning I noticed black weird things on his comb. I did some reserach and frostbite came up, but we are in California. It did get cold last night, but that cold???
If it would be chicken Pox would it show up overnight??? and is there anything I can do???.
The scabs are big and almost look like dried blood?? and his comb feels very hot. I couldn't see a wound....
I attach 2 pics
What should I do??? I worry about him. He acts ok so....
Thank you for any advice
Nanni
I am not sure I got the image thing so... hope it shows
45530_img_2525.jpg

I agree, looks like he was in a scuffle last night. I'm in San Diego Co, have nearly the same weather as LA and my gals did fine last night, I'm sure it's not frostbite!

How WONDERFUL of you to care for these chickens! Not so pleased with your neighbor and their lack of care though. I sure hope they share the eggs that Emma lays with you?

Don't worry too much, Oscar should be just fine.

Thanks for your input. I don't think it could be fighting as he is the only one and Emma doesn't fight with him. He is too big for her.
If he encountered another predator I would think he would show other signs not only on his comb???
Assuming it is Frostbite or Pox what other signs would I be looking for. Can they die of pox?? will Emma get it from him in case he has it?
Thanks

Pox is much more blister like. That is not pox.
Frostbite will turn black over time, not in 24 hours.
It's just a bit of scabbed up blood. Give it a week, it will be gone.

I care about EVERY animal I meet that is my problem. But getting back to the chickens. I can't really take them away from them, but I am trying to improve their life...I am thinking about trying to create some kind of shelter between our houses, so he is at least protected from the elements and a little saver.
It is just finding the right design for the limited space and the time... I read that they prefer to sleep on perches and not in boxes. So i am trying to figure out how to create a "ladder system" to get him above ground and under something....
I can't lock him in, so I can only provide an option for him... which I want to make right so he will go for it....
smile.png

hope I make sense

Back
Top Bottom