Black stuff on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by staggsfam, Feb 4, 2017.

1. staggsfam

staggsfam New Egg

Feb 4, 2017
    HELP!! This rooster is new to us. We went out of town to come back to a new friend. I have looked around the neighborhood to see if he belongs anywhere and haven't found anything. We hadn't planned on keeping him but my kids and I already love him! We named him Mr.C. He definitely feels welcome here as he never leaves and comes to us when we are outside. Got on the back of my husbands truck cocka doodling away! My knowledge is nothing!! I bought chicken scratch for him and we are building a coop to get some hens. BUT I noticed this black stuff on his comb and I haven't a clue what it is. Attached pictures. We can't pick him up yet and I don't want to chase him to scare him. So if anyone can help me that would be awesome! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your new rooster - he's a handsome boy! A Barred Rock, possibly?

The black spots look like pecking injuries to me. Did he have them when you got him, or do you have other roosters around? I have several roosters that are in a "rooster pen" until they've grown out, and they are hard on each other's combs - they grab each other by the comb and the resulting scabs are black like the ones on your rooster.

A quick question: are you feeding him a balanced poultry feed in addition to the scratch? Scratch isn't a complete feed (though a nice occasional snack, especially on cold days).

Best of luck with Mr. C!

1 person likes this.
  3. staggsfam

staggsfam New Egg

Feb 4, 2017
    He's my only one and he had them when he showed up to our house. I am only doing the scratch I honestly have no clue where to begin. I need a chickens 101 :lol: where do I start I want to be a good caretaker to him. I have been reading a lot on caring but I went yesterday to get food and there were so many and I didn't know which one.

4. FoodFreedomNow

Gotcha - my guess is he was with other roosters (wherever he came from) and they beat each others' combs up like that.

You've come to the right place - check out the Learning Center for more info. on how to care for your new roo: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. Specific to feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feeding-chickens-an-introductory-guide. An "all flock" feed would be appropriate for him - no layer because that contains calcium, and it can be harmful for a rooster since he's not going to lay. Ever. [​IMG]

There are also lots of helpful people here in the BYC community, so ask away!

5. staggsfam

staggsfam New Egg

Feb 4, 2017
    Thank you!!! Is there also a place on here about building a coop? We were going to get a hen or two so he wont be lonely. Would I feed them separately? Also this may be dumb question but can I get any hen or does it have to be the same kind?

6. FoodFreedomNow

There sure is - in the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens.

I'm sure he'd appreciate a few ladies to keep him company - and you'll have eggs, to boot. No need to do separate feed for a flock with males and females - I have the same, and I feed fermented chick starter (it's higher protein than most other formulations) to everyone and just put out oyster shell for the hens to eat. The rooster won't eat it because he doesn't need the calcium.

No, you don't have to get the same breed, but you may want to consider getting hens of breeds that are similarly-sized. I have a variety of dual-purpose breeds (for laying and meat), and have had a Barred Rock hen before (but a fox got her) - they are good layers of large eggs. What are your goals for your chickens - for example, do you want primarily eggs or very docile chickens? Specific egg color? Good broodies? There are a lot of great choices.

7. staggsfam

staggsfam New Egg

Feb 4, 2017
    I was going to use for the eggs. Not really sure on the color of egg does that matter on taste?

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Color of eggs has nothing to do with the taste or nutritional value. Some people just like the look of certain colors or like having a mix of colors. I personally like brown eggs as they tend to have a thicker shell but not so hard that you can't crack it easily.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC!

I agree with @FoodFreedomNow he is handsome! Gets my vote as a Barred Rock too.

You have received good advice and information, so I'm just dropping in to say Hi and Welcome[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by