Black stuff on combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nightwatch, Oct 23, 2011.

1. nightwatch

nightwatch New Egg

May 25, 2011
    I have been watching my Barred Rocks closely. They have dark black spots on there combs. It started out just a black spot here and there on a couple of hens. Not its more wide spead amonst my six hens. one hen has it all one her come and the tips are getting raw. At first I thought it was maybe poop or dirt on it. It looks like scabs, dirt or like a black mold. Does any one know what it could be? Im worried. I dont need to go into winter with this.

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have the same thing on my Rocks. I have been reading horror stories on here about fowl pox, but my local avian expert assures me it's just scabs from pecking. They do have the largest combs of my little flock. I have been keeping my terror in check, but will be watching this thread. Maybe if we both posted pics?

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    The dry form of fowl pox is not too terribly serious. Mine never acted like it bothered them at all. Here is a pic of one of them.
    [​IMG]

4. nightwatch

nightwatch New Egg

May 25, 2011
    yeah that is pretty close to what mine look like. One has her hole comb getting it. Im so mad and unhappy. Im worried that they have fowl pox and I will lose them. I got them from TSC. If I would have known about fowl pox I would have vaccinated them. Will they suffer or die? If so should I just kill them now and get it over with?

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    In looking at mine again, the spots are gone. Maybe the extreme wetness we've had up here? In any event, I'm glad I didn't panic...thanks for the pic!

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Agree - probably fowl pox, which they will recover from generally on their own I think. It could also be from fights because if one pecks another one, that peck spot will get bloody and looks black soon thereafter. Even the hens can fight sometimes so you might not notice it other than the black marks. We also had a guinea once that attacked our hens in the nest box and made their combs all bloody. He went to freezer camp soon after I discovered what was going on, and we haven't had any trouble since then. We had other guineas without a problem though, so it must've just been a mean one.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it looks like this, it could be lice/mites.
    [​IMG]

8. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have the same thing, it started out as one spot and has separated into two. I've been putting iodine on it every night....I believe its fowl pox. Only one out of 18 has it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by