black stuff on face and comb? Rock in crop.. cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Jul 25, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    when will i learn?? I show up to buy a few chickens, and end up feeling obligated to buy them even though they were not kept how they should be( i stood right by 24 or so ROTTING zuchini squash, no grass, and filth. )

Half of the hens had large goiter type things in their crop( huge rocks!) i handed two hens back to him( a 12 yr old boy!) because one's toe was almost detatched because of severe bumblefoot!

I got two black sex links, and two leghorns.

one leghorn is pretty good.. i gave them all a bath in my tub.. there is a first LOL.. the other leghorn is also good now except there is a smallish( too big for my tastes) rock in her crop.

One of the black sex links had black looking stuff( it felt crispY) on the red parts of her face, waddles and comb, but about 89 percent of it came off when i scrubbed it;. then i rubbed vaseline into all the areas, with resulted in her cooing like a dove LOL.. and i reapplied more vaseline the next day. i didnt notice and regrowth of it.

could that have just been a result of crappy care? is it just months of nasty filth? i figures at the worse, it would be mites of some sort but i didnt see any as i was massaging in the vaseline.

Thanks for any info

Tchix

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    It could have been old dried blood, that often looks like black dirt. No worries as long as it doesn't return. Mites may look like dirt, but when carefully observed the mites moves (and get on you and itch...not a concern for you though jsut creepy). It could be the result of fighting or the hen got it's face by something sharp while pecking around. I am glad to hear they have a good home now.

3. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    im going to try to keep an eye on it...

on the leghorn, is it possible for her to pass the rock or is it going to live in her crop forever?

4. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Aww poor chickies. Glad to hear you rescued them from the squalor.

5. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    UPDATE:

Still no black growing back.. and OMG.. the black sex links legs are SUPPOSED TO BE YELLOW!!! i swear i scrubbed them so hard i thought their scaled would come off and the were still black.. yesterday i go out and one is finally shedding or whatever the blackness off her legs!! im just DISGUSTED!!! ill keep working on this filth that has invaded her legs. No mites seem apparent( how could they breath with the impacted crap?)

But sadly, one of the two leghorns i purchased from these "People" died. Right off the roost at night. She looked great after her bath and for a few days, then i noticed a bunch of poop on her butt and i hosed it off and she was still hjunched but would walk around, eat and drink as needed, and the next day she was gone [​IMG]. At least her last week involved love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by