Black stuff on hen's comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lylak, Nov 28, 2013.

1. lylak

lylak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This is on a 5 month old sex-linked red hen. I noticed this last week and at that time it was just a dot or two. I thought it was blood at the time. Now it seems to be spreading? Could it be frostbite or early fowl pox? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be frost bite. How cold has it been where you live?

3. lylak

lylak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It did get down to below freezing in the past week or two. I had to break the ice in their water 2-3 days in a row. Just not sure why it appears to be spreading. Maybe that is just my perception since today was the first day since last week that I have been able to spend a lot of time with my girls. I'm just anxious because I don't want my other chickens to get sick if she does has something catchy. Thanks for your response!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks to me like peck wounds because of the blood. I would watch it--if they are peck marks they will turn black. If not post another picture.

5. lylak

lylak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening? Do hens or roosters typically peck like that? Forgive my ignorance please, I'm new at this. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by