Black Sumatras best hatchery???

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have always wanted some black sumatras. Not for showing but to enjoy in my backyard as pets. I have researched alot of hatcheries and am wondering if anyone has any experience with ordering them and from where?

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Sandhill has them. I also would like to know the best source?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you truly want to enjoy them as a breed I still say go for show or near-show quality. Just because they are, doesn't mean you need to or will show them. [​IMG] It just means they actually fit the standard for the breed. Hatcheries only breed for production, and thus, the Sumatras usually have paler skin, smaller and skinnier bodies, and smaller tails as well as less fierce facial expressions.

But if you insist, Sandhill might be your best choice. [​IMG]

4. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I agree that hatchery stock is going to basically be a "black bird" that may or may not display characteristics of the breed. It's highly unlikely they'll show all characteristics, and you can consider yourself lucky if they have one or two aside from the color.

I have one hatchery Sumatra pullet that I bought from someone who received her as a "mystery chick". Side by side with actual, breeder produced sumatras, the only resemblance is that they are both black and they both have black faces. Feathers are different, tails are different, body type and proportions are different, leg color is different, comb is different, and behavior is different. Even though both are black, the hatchery sumatra does not have half of the shine and iridescence that the breeder ones have.

That said, the sumatra can be a hard bird to find from breeders. Even hatching eggs can be somewhat few and far between. I got a trio of spring hatch sumatras at an exotic livestock auction, and then bought hatching eggs to start my sumatra flock.

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Meyer

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    agreed with what has been said so far. If you want bantam size, I have them black, blue and splash, though right now, pretty much done for this season with them. May still get a few, but mainly will be next spring. These are exceptional show winning lines though if that's what you are looking for

7. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Im thinking of using welp............

8. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    For any birds, GO TO SHOWS. I can not express how much nicer the birds will be, and it supports a local person rater than a big hatchery. But, as far as hatcheries go, Sandhill preservation center is really great.

9. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Welp drop ships from privett

10. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    well can anyone give me a list of reputable breeders of standard size black and/or white sumatras with some contact information???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by