Black Sunflower Seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eastbaychicks, Nov 5, 2009.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Help, I'm freaking out because my birdies are eating the black sunflower seeds whole. Is that ok?

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Absolutely, just make sure they have some grit if they're in a run. If they're out free ranging you don't need to worry about grit as much, they'll find rocks/pebbles and that while they're pecking the ground.

3. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    That is great for them especially when the weather starts to get cold. It is considered a HOT food just like corn. You feed this to help them build a bit of fat to produce extra heat to
    keep warm. When feeding only for that reason they recommend from Oct to Jan. then stop to prepare for laying season. I feed year round just more in the winter months.
    I just toss in the coop so they scratch for it and keep the litter turned. I use the deep litter method. that way they get goodies and I get less work. lol

4. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Thanks!!! I was a little concerned, they have free range in the yard for now... until I can make a fence... OMG they're walking in the house now. YIIKES!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes. My girls would have me skinned alive if I didn't give them whole black oil sunflower seeds every day.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    If you are a gardener, grow some black oil sunflower seeds for them next year. I planted 4 rows that were 30' long this year (Plants were about 1' apart within each row). Nearly every day from mid August to mid October I would cut two flowers heads and toss them in the run for my 17 pullets. They went crazy over them. I would leave about 2' of stem attached with the leaves. After the seeds were gone they would munch on the leaves. No need to remove the seeds from the heads. I plan to grow at least this many more again next year. More if I happen to expand my flock. [​IMG]. I think everyone here knows what happens when you walk into a feed store in the spring and you hear the little chirps... '[​IMG]'.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    What a great idea! Can I plant the seeds I've been feeding them?

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Yes you can plant the seeds you have been feeding them. It does not take very many seeds. I looked around at garden store, feed stores, etc. and could not find anywhere to buy seeds to plant. Then I remembered how many of the would sprout under our bird feeder each spring. I planted them about 3" apart and then thinned them to about 1' apart after they were a few inches tall.

9. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    We'll have to post pic's in the spring. This is very cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by