black sunflower seeds??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henryhoe, Aug 13, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi can anyone tell me is it ok for my chickens to eat black sunflower seeds, the pack says that they are for wild birds, thanks!! and forgot will this help my 17 weel rir's lay bit sooner??

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Sunflower seeds are fine, in moderation of course [​IMG] Mine a few handfuls of sunflower seeds fed every evening before bed. Helps to make them more friendly as I hand feed them. Also they contain a mineral that helps with feather growth.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Boss has long been a good staple feed source, Yes there are different quality levels of boss but all should be safe to feed. Boss is a good source of digestable protein and the oils they contain are very benificial in conditioning feathers, skin and combs/wattles ect. so yes feed it, but it is advisable to mix it with regular feed or feed as a scratch which is recommended.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

What Al said! [​IMG] Hey, Al!! [​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I feed two handfuls of homemade scratch(black sunflower seeds, oats and cracked corn) every morning about 1/2 hour after I wake them up. [​IMG]. They love it.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Hey Beeeee !!! Long time no see. [​IMG]

7. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Mine love it. I mix a handfull or so in with their feed.

8. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I planted boss in the salad bar area of our run, they are sprouting which adds to the protein level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by