Black swallowtail butterflies

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
This morning I went out to tend my herb garden and found my parsley plant decimated!
somad.gif
I pulled 16! 16 black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars off of my plant.
barnie.gif

SO I know they are butterflies and want to give them a chance to live, I even have a spare aquarium I can house them in.

But, here is the problem: I don't have enough parsley to feed them all. I don't have any carrots this year (dang rabbits!) I have no fennel or dill. I don't want to buy parsley for them.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to save them and my plant??
hu.gif
I doubt my parsley plant would have sufficed for them all if i had left them alone!

Do you have any fields or local wildlife areas with alot of Queen Anne's Lace plants around. QAL is a member of the carrot family. They will thrive on it, be happy and you'll save your garden.

ooooo! Thanks! I will start looking today! --- As soon as it stops raining!

I have another plant that grows around here that looks very very much like carrot, but its not. Do you think they might take that??

I'm not sure. They like members of the carrot and dill family. QAL is a very common weed, you should be able to find some and let nature take care of her babies.
smile.png

How about grocery store parsley in a vase? I raised some Monarch caterpillars that are in chrysalis mode at the moment in an aquarium. Sundays the day!

Back
Top Bottom