black swede quacks alone

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Soonerphan28, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Soonerphan28

Soonerphan28 New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    Out of 22 ducks of several breeds I have one female black Swede that will stand alone near or in the duck pen and quack loudly for the better part of the day. Not every day but once every week or two. It's very strange and I was wondering if anyone had this experience or if there was an explanation

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    No good explanation here, but experience. When hormones surge, and sometimes because something is worrying the duck (I presume), I will have one call, and call an alarm call repeatedly.

I check around, make sure the pen is secure and everyone is in, and then don't worry much more about it.

I reckon she could have a tummy ache, or could smell a predator, something like that. Obviously she is trying to tell me something, and I always respect that in a duck. Just because I don't see it doesn't mean there is not a threat.

Now Einz is usually my alarmist. And she hates getting used to new ducks. She screamed for three weeks last fall when we introduced a new buff trio.

She is much calmer now.

So just make sure they are safe with good food and water, look around, and you may discover later what is bothering her.

3. Soonerphan28

Soonerphan28 New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    Ok thanks. I will take a good look around and pay her more attention when she is doing this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by