1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black swedish ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cppeace, Aug 15, 2014.

1. cppeace

cppeace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Lebanon, Mo
    So, I got some more hens to even out my drake to hen ratio. I had 3 rouen hens and 2 drakes and now have added 6 black swedish hens to the flock. They get along great, all play and love their pool and yard. I was curious about these black swedes I bought. They're healthy and active, eating good and quacking alot. I was more concerned about their color. They are black with greenish blue on their wings, 3 have white bibs, 2 have very little white and one is pure black except for the play of color on the wings. They all have a tinge of color play on their heads too. They're about 4 months old, so not full grown yet but do they sound colored right to be full breeds? Or do I have mixed breeds? If they really are swedes I'll seperate them from the rouens next year to maintain the swedish line but if they are mutts I won't worry about it. The breeder said they were black swedish and I don't know anything about that breed compared to the more common rouens, pekins, mallards and muscovies.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by