Black Swedish?

AppMtnChickens

Songster
Sep 19, 2019
Hi! Im new here but excited to explore!
I recently bought a hybrid golden 300 hen, and a black swedish hen (i think) so my current rouen hen could have some companions. I got my rouen from my girlfriend, whos dog killed the others.
After doing some research im not 100% shes a full black swedish due to the lack of a white chest.

Attachments

• 20190919_172549.jpg
    20190919_172549.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190919_172617.jpg
    20190919_172617.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 16
I don't think it's a Swedish because the bib gene is dominant and all Swedish have the bib.

Maybe a cayuga. Dark ducks can get white feathers, usually females, usually more after each molt. It has to do with damage where the pigment is formed. Some ducks are more prone to it than others, genetics plays a roll.

I've had Swedish with broken looking bibs like that. While the bib gene is dominant, it can manifest itself in different ways. It may even be incompletely dominant... I dunno. I raised blue and black swedish for a few years and yup, seen that broken bib look before. That one is bad though, it would have been a cull if it came out of my breeding pen.

I've had Swedish with broken looking bibs like that. While the bib gene is dominant, it can manifest itself in different ways. It may even be incompletely dominant... I dunno. I raised blue and black swedish for a few years and yup, seen that broken bib look before. That one is bad though, it would have been a cull if it came out of my breeding pen.
Then thats a good thing im not breeding she also has a minor case of angle wing, but i didnt really care since there really not used for anything except being pets.

I actually found someone selling her near me when i was searching for ducks near the same age as my rouen. Thank you!

I don't think it's a Swedish because the bib gene is dominant and all Swedish have the bib.

Maybe a cayuga. Dark ducks can get white feathers, usually females, usually more after each molt. It has to do with damage where the pigment is formed. Some ducks are more prone to it than others, genetics plays a roll.
We she does have a very prominent green sheen to her feathers, so i could see that!

Back
Top Bottom