Black tips on my Roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rbyfarm, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rbyfarm

rbyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    Weare, NH
    I noticed today when I got home that my Roo is starting to develop some black on the tips of his comb. Could it be frost bite? I have heard of putting gasoline on the combs, but, he doesn't like to be picked up. Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    NOT gasoline -- Vaseline! Yes, black tips could easily be frostbite.

The usual cause of frostbite is humidity buildup in the coop due to inadequate ventilation. Even below zero, it is necessary to have air exchange at a high point of the coop. this is partl to let the humidity put out by the chickens and their poop escape to the outside, along with the ammonia from their poop. ehich can rach toxic levels before you can even smell it. This article was written several years ago by a Canadian member and is rather a classic here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

1 person likes this.
  3. rbyfarm

rbyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    Weare, NH
    Sorry about the gasoline thing. It was supposed to be Vaseline. Autocorrect on my ipad thinks it knows better! Lol! If i can get Vaseline on his comb and add so e ventilation do you think the black will go away? There is very little.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Whew! I didn't think of autocorrect!

It's hard to say. Black tissue is usally dead tissue but it could also be scabs. Well, yes, the black will go away, but what you won't know for a while is whether he loses some height on the tips.

I'd probably put Neosporin on whatever is already black. Vaseline is supposed to prevent the frostbite. The ventilation is the most important thing, to allow this to heal and prevent more damage, as well as to vent the ammonia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by