Black toes about to fall off!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amber_b, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Amber_b

Amber_b Hatching

Jun 19, 2009
    I have a baby chick about 4 weeks old. He was in the cage with a few others and when I went outside to feed him about a week ago, he had his foot hanging through the wire at the bottom of the cage. It was pretty swollen but I took care to help the swelling. The past couple days, Ive noticed that his toes are starting to turn black, and they are flat, almost dehydrated-like. I know they are going to fall off..but I'm afraid of it spreading up his leg. I've been putting saline solution on it and cleaning it with warm water everynight. For others who have had this problem, could you please tell me what you did after the toes fell off? Also..what are the names of the antibiotics that you used during this time? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    sorry to hear this for you and your chick....I have no help but here is a bump!! [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I had a pheasant chick that one of my dogs pulled her toes off through a wire cage. Some were gone others were mangled. They started to die. I cleaned the foot and coated it in neosporin(no pain killer in it) and then wrapped her foot in vet wrap. The dead toes eventually feel off. I kept it wrapped and smothered in neosporin until the new tissue covered the bone. Now she is a healthy breeding hen named Socks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: