Black toes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 19, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I think hen might of broken her leg [​IMG] her toes are black and cannot move foot....arguh, we will probably have to put her down.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Black toes often mean frostbite. Are you in an area that gets very cold?

3. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    no, been to warm for that [​IMG]

any other ideas?? she can move leg just not foot, would it heal?

4. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Black usually means that the tissue is necrotic (dead).. you really have had some bad luck in the past week or so - the really bad CRD, the mites, and now this!! [​IMG] I'm so sorry you are having to deal with so much!! [​IMG]

5. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] We are going to put her down because the black is moving up the foot and she just wants to hide, we tried to help her....this sux

Also, our eggbound girl won't open her eyes anymore and we tried everything for her,

Going to be another sad night.....

The mites are still real bad, so i did the seven dust again last night, the coop and will do again in 10 days [​IMG] arguh....

6. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] We are going to put her down because the black is moving up the foot and she just wants to hide, we tried to help her....this sux

Also, our eggbound girl won't open her eyes anymore and we tried everything for her,

Going to be another sad night.....

The mites are still real bad, so i did the seven dust again last night, the coop and will do again in 10 days [​IMG] arguh....

Bless you for working so hard to try and save your girls. I think you are doing the right thing about the one with the black toes!

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry to hear about your chicken! Hang in there! I've been through some things too with my flock....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by