Black Turkey Liver?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davearcade, Jan 17, 2015.

1. davearcade

davearcade Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2014
    So I posted this a few days ago in the turkey forum and it was recommended that I try for answers here too.

Yesterday morning one of our 8 5month old bourbon red turks was nearly dead and another tom was pecking its head and feathers badly. I culled it but had to bag it and put in fridge til today when I did autopsy. Its head was really dark and I feared blackhead, but the liver had no spots or anything unusual except it was nearly black! Photo is roughly 24 hours after cull.
    [​IMG]

The liver was this color throughout. Felt basically normal but slightly more jello like.

The rest of inards looked normal and the other turks seem ok..but I'm worried.

This our first batch of turks. Any ideas are appreciated

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

wow!

a mystery!

Did you ever figure this one out?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a link about blackhead disease, and an excerpt from Merck Manual about the liver in blackhead disease: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/74/histamonosis-histomoniasis-blackhead

Lesions

The primary lesions of histomoniasis are in the ceca, which exhibit marked inflammatory changes and ulcerations, causing a thickening of the cecal wall. Occasionally, these ulcers erode the cecal wall, leading to peritonitis and involvement of other organs. The ceca contain a yellowish green, caseous exudate or, in later stages, a dry, cheesy core. Liver lesions are highly variable in appearance; in turkeys, they may be up to 4 cm in diameter and involve the entire organ. In some cases, the liver will appear green or tan. The liver and cecal lesions together are pathognomonic. However, the liver lesions must be differentiated from those of tuberculosis, leukosis, avian trichomonosis, and mycosis. Lesions are also seen in other organs, such as the kidneys, bursa of Fabricius, spleen, and pancreas. Studies by PCR show that Histomonas DNA can be found in the blood and in the tissues of most organs, whether lesions are present or not. Histopathologic examination is helpful for differentiation of diseases.

4. davearcade

Nov 29, 2014
    All the other turkeys are doing well now. I don't think it was blackhead anymore. Doctors at an animal hospital my wife works at think it ate something toxic...maybe a metal.

On this post in turkey forum a woman is sending the pic to an avian pathologist from uc davis. I will update this thred too if I have an update

Thanks everybody

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Email sent! In the spoiler below are some necropsy pictures that I took.

Here are the necropsy pictures from one of the peacocks.

[​IMG]

Liver and cecal pouches
    [​IMG]

Contents of cecal pouch - black liquid poop, NOT normal!
    [​IMG]

Inside of cecal pouch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liver with the blackhead spots and I think the black edges are necrotic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    From the pathologist "It could be a postmortem change. Less likely though since the turkey was culled and refrigerated right away. Could be due to a bacterial infection but need culturing to confirm. Histopathology would have given clues."

-Kathy

7. davearcade

Nov 29, 2014
    Thanks Kathy. I will definitely collect cultures if I even come across something like this again…doctors from the clinic my wife's at said similar things. For now the rest are good and I'll try to get some weights on them soon. I appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by