Black unlabeled TSC chick still ALL black...?

rzarat

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Hi!

We got a little black unlabeled chick from the straight run bin at TSC over a month ago and this (we think) pullet has remained completely black with 5 toes on each foot. I'm new to chickens so of course the first results I found online were Ayam Cerami which seemed unlikely? I read that a silkie could be black like this and would have 5 toes, but this lady doesn't look very silkie to me?

We think she's about 1.5 months old. Any thoughts?

(Pardon the yucky tarp 😣 they've had to be inside for a few days with thunderstorms and strong winds.)

black-chick.jpg

Probably not a Svart Hona. Those are rare and don't have five toes.

More likely a Silkie mix.

The silkie feather gene is recessive, which means a bird needs to to have two copies, one from each parent, to have silkie feathering. The five toe gene is dominant, which means the bird only needs to get the gene from one parent. So a cross between a Silkie and a normal feathered bird would result in a bird with five toes and normal feathering.

Probably not a Svart Hona. Those are rare and don't have five toes.

More likely a Silkie mix.

The silkie feather gene is recessive, which means a bird needs to to have two copies, one from each parent, to have silkie feathering. The five toe gene is dominant, which means the bird only needs to get the gene from one parent. So a cross between a Silkie and a normal feathered bird would result in a bird with five toes and normal feathering.
Thank you for the genetics info, I was wondering if that feathering was just recessive!

Back
Top Bottom