black wallnuts

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dmccann, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Well my son gave me some blk wallnuts,i have not messed with these since i was a kid.Can anyone tell me would they still be ok they have the outer blk layer on them ,some of it is soft others r hard?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I read that the husks have to be removed and the nuts have to be washed well with cool water and dried a few days. Then they can be cracked open.
    If you don't get them out of the husks and wash them, they will be bitter.

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    If they're from this year, then they're fine. Grandma would let them rot and get the hulls squished off by dumping them in the gravel driveway. Then the grandkids fingers would get all black gathering the nut in the hard shell up from the squishy black and hard green hulls. The hulls make a cloth dye whether you wanted the clothing dyed or not. Just like pecan shells and other nuts from the Juglans group.

4. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    thank u

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The husks contain tanic acid. It is absorbed by the walnut meat if left on to rot, hence the bitterness. Dry them it will come off easy.

6. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I worked all day on a few wallnuts,they say the bad ones float. I think wallnuts should be $500.00 a lb! Seams like a lot of work,maybe cause the outer shell kindof shrink wrapped to the nut shell! Wow

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

We do the driveway thing.

8. Driveway is the way to go, drive back and forth over them, get rake, dig out.......lay on screens to dry. Store in buckets till time to crack open and make COOKIES!!!!!! [​IMG] Squirrels will gladly pick up any you miss in the driveway. Good luck!

9. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    My Daddy loved black walnuts. He spread them in the drive way and drove over them to loosen up the hulls. Then he cracked them with a hammer on a piece of railroad rail the he had cut down like an anvil. He would give mom a jar with his day's labor in it and she made him cookies! If you don't like cracking them, plant them! In about 100-150 years the wood will be worth a fortune!! [​IMG]

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I get mine out of bags.....just saying....LOL

I actually have a walnut tree but there are two things I swore I would never do as an adult....shell peas and pick walnuts! There are people who come pick ours up from the yard. THey are welcome to them!
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by