Black, wart like things all over my chick's head

sepaditty1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
South Carolina
This chick is about 10 weeks old. Raised by Mama & not as friendly as my brooder chicks usually are so he is kind of hard to get close to.

For a couple weeks I've noticed that his comb looked black but I figured it was just how he is. Today I got close enough to grab him & see. His whole comb and all of his head are covered with black, puffy things that look like warts.

Has anyone seen this? Any clues? I didn't have my phone so no pictures. What do you guys think?

I did a search & looked at a bunch of pictures. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I'll try to get a hold of him again tomorrow & get a picture.

I did a search & looked at a bunch of pictures. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I'll try to get a hold of him again tomorrow & get a picture.
Since there is no cure for fowlpox, and it is highly contagious, the best thing to do would be to make sure your flock's immune systems are well maintained. If it doesn't look like any of the other birds have the disease yet, you may still be able to vaccinate them to prevent the spread of the pox.

Back
Top Bottom