Black, wart-looking spots/sores coming up on my little lady's beak, comb, and waddle...???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeccaLeigh, Aug 21, 2013.

1. BeccaLeigh

BeccaLeigh Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    I'm not sure what this could be, what to do for her..or even what could be causing it for that matter! Shes one of my four laying ladies, (6months old) and the only one so far with these sores. .. any thoughts or advice out there?? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure what that is. It doesn't really look like fowl pox or favus, but I hope somebody else has seen this before.

3. BeccaLeigh

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    I hope so... it doesn't seem to be bothering her yet, but the place on her beak worries me. Its pretty close to her nostrils.. and seems to be slowly getting bigger. I just wish I knew what I could put on it to help before it gets any worse. :(

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How are the black lesions on you chicken's comb and beak? I was thinking it might be some kind of fungal disease, but I just can't find a picture like that. Could she have been pecked there? I hope more people click on the picture to increase the size--maybe someone can recognize this.

5. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I have no clue what this could be but if nothing else try putting Vaseline or bag balm on it. When in doubt try that. I would try other people's remedies first but if everybody is clueless as well I would try this so I have at least true something. If you lose her I would maybe contact a vet to ask if a necropsy should be done.

6. BeccaLeigh

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    Absolutly horrible day... our jack russel was mistakingly left unattended outside today with my ladies for no more than 20 min..and he managed to kill 2 of my four girls. The girl pictured here was one of them. :'( thank you for your help and advice though. I really do appreciate it. :(

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. We lost a hen and had two roughed up by our golden retriever. We finally tried a shock collar on him with the dead chicken, and a couple of years later, he never goes near the chickens.

8. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I am so sorry, it can be really hard losing a bird.

9. BeccaLeigh

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    I know that now.. i cried like a baby yesterday :( I was a little surprised how attached I became to them. They always followed me around in a group, and would even run out to greet me when I would pull into the drive.. I never realized what sweet pets chickens could actually be with their own little personalities.

10. BeccaLeigh

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    I've definitely learned some lessons though, and my son is already asking when we can get a few more chicks to raise and keep my surviving two hens company. Hopefully it goes better next go round.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by