Black Watery Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Judy, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Chicken Judy

Chicken Judy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Newnan, GA
    Apparently one of my RIR's has black, watery poop. Whats up? Do I need to worm the flock? I have some from TSC but have never wormed the girls. They have been laying since Dec.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are there any other symptoms? Does she have it consistently each time, or does it vary? Most chickens have worms, and worming them twice a year (or more if in a warm humid environment) with SafeGuard Goat Wormer or Valbazen would probably be wise. You could also take a good sample of droppings (both normal and cecal) into your vet to get it tested for worms, cocci, and bacteria.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it? You might want to try placing it on a white paper towel to see if you can see or smell any blood in it.

-Kathy

4. Chicken Judy

Dec 14, 2014
    Newnan, GA
    No other symptoms. They all seem to be fine. I was just at my vet yesterday for dogs annual check up. I think someone in the practice may work on poultry. I have wizen (sp) and was thinking on doing it soon. It doesn't seem to be all the time but I'll keep a close eye on them. Since all my girls look alike, its impossible to tell which of the 8 it may be. I did take a picture of it. Not very computer savvy but maybe I can get some help. Thanks everyone for the advise.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wazine will only treat for roundworms, but the Valbazen or SafeGuard goat wormer will treat for all worms. Enteritis, a bacterial intestinal disease can cause dark brown droppings, but she would probably appear sick. Many vets will do a fecal float if your just bring in fresh droppings. There can be false negatives on fecal floats, but probably worth doing in case of having a more problem worm. Dosages on the 2 wormers above:
    Valbazen 1/10th ml per pound once by mouth for each chicken, and repeat in 10 days.
    SafeGuard liquid goat wormer (or equine paste) give 1/4 ml per pound daily by mouth for each chicken for 5 days in a row.

6. Chicken Judy

Dec 14, 2014
    Newnan, GA
    I'll get some fresh droppings tomorrow and run to the vet. Can I get Valbezn at Tractor Supply?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some feed stores such as Southern States co-op and Rural King sell it here, but my TSC does not. TSC will have SafeGuard liquid goat wormer and the equine paste. Valbazen is easily found online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by