black, watery stools in almost year old hens

siouxbee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
This past week I've noticed my hens stools have changed dramatically. I live in CT and yes it's been very spring like these past couple of weeks, so they are definitely probably finding more in terms of foraging in the woods. I have a small flock of seven hens (speckled sussex, americauna, gold laced wyandottes and blue laced red wyandottes) and one roo.

One of the hens roosts on top of the 5 gallon bucket I keep the food in in the coop. When I clean it off, it's usually pretty dry and a lighter color. Today and lately it has been very dark, seems much smoother (less fibrous I guess) and watery. not much of the white urea area on lots of them either.

And of course they have to come up on the deck and poop all over it, and the stools just don't smell like normal chicken poop and they look weird. what is that all about?

any help is appreciated.

siouxbee

change in diet... what they eat...all can affect the poos. When was the last time you had them wormed?

hm, I haven't done that. wouldn't I be seeing worms in their stool?

off to research...

At what age is it safe to worm a hen? Mine are 8 weeks old and sometimes have the same kind of stool mentioned. I do feed them vegetable scraps sometimes and some grass. When and how do you worm a hen? I'm a newbie LOL!!

Thanks and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom