Black widow

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mr Beaks, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    I was just outside lifting up flower pots and flipping rocks for the chickens when one of my Marans snapped up a Black Widow and ate it! I'm sure it's been asked before but I need to know ASAP if it is okay or not? I'm panicked!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Everything that I have ever heard indicates that it is OK.

3. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Thank you @sourland! I did some research after posting and found that it is okay. The little buggers sure do have a way of keeping me on my toes [​IMG]. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

4. hashworld

hashworld Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Chicago
    Hi Mr Beaks, Yes it is okay as you have found out. Chickens love eating anything that moves, be it spiders, scorpions, lizards (not chameleons or frogs though, in my experience), even small mice..though I wouldn't let them eat mice if i can help it.
    But spiders, lizards are definitely okay and I have seen many chickens relishing those.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  5. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.

Thanks for the reply @hashworld! It was one of those things I had just never given any thought to until it happened. I've seen them eat some interesting things but never a widow. We had lots of tree frogs at our place before we moved and they snapped those up in a heartbeat :sick!
    Thanks again for the reassuring reply :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by