Black Wyandotte Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lovin my birds, Oct 8, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    There is a guy that is selling a flock of 4 hens and one rooster and I was interested in them. I was wondering if this is a good breed to have. I like the look of them and he said that they were really broody (so I dont have to incubate as much). Anyone have an opinion on these guys.

A little info on them:
    They are about a year old. There are 4 hens and a rooster. So a nice flock. He want 50 dollars for them(so 10 dollars a chicken). The hens go broody easily. They are tame.

Just wanted peoples opinions on if I should get them or not.

2. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Does he have pics for you that you could show us? I grew up around wyandotte bantams and if they are of decent body type and size I'd say its a good deal. Ours go broody quite often as well. I use them as brooders when I have small batches to hatch instead of turning on the incubator.

3. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Yes he does but I cant seem to get them to copy and paste. But they are pretty. You can find them on the kansas city craigslist page. The post is labeled Black Wyandotte.

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Just make sure that they are healthy and quarantine......that's sounds like a good deal.....but I haven't looked at the pic's....

5. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Well never mind. I was suppose to go and see them tomorrow. But he emailed me and said that someone had stopped by and he sold them to them. [​IMG] [​IMG] I mean really that is not how you do things. I told him that I was going to buy them and he said that was fine and he would hold them for me. I am so mad right now. They where actually very very nice looking and I was going to use them for breeding and for broodys. Does this sound bad to anyone else or would you have done the same thing if you where in his position. I was going to send him a very unhappy email but then I decided not to. I am just sad that I missed out on such beautiful chickens. [​IMG]

6. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Quote:Yeah, that's pretty rude, but that's pretty typical with many people. They just don't consider others.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:unfortunately I've found that to be how it seems to go on CL. I have been on both sides...where someone sells something after they said they'd hold it for me and I've been the one that has held things for someone and they ended up not showing up and in the meantime I could have sold it to someone else. Either way its not fun. Where are you in MO? I'm not familiar with the town listed under your avatar. I raise both bantam and large fowl wyandottes and might have some I'd be willing to part with at some point. [​IMG]

8. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I live about 45 minutes east of Kansas City. Odessa is a small town and is not very comonly known. Everyone from other towns think we are all hicks that live here. Lol! It might be true. [​IMG]

I understand that sometimes people might not show up but he had a paypal account and he was going to send me a invoice last night so that I could pay for them. But I never got it and I emailed him today and he said he had sold them to someone else. [​IMG]

gilavina I would definately be interested in some. I love the black wyandottes bantams. I have been looking at getting some for about 3 months now and when these came up I was just very excited. Let me know if you ever have any, if its chicks, eggs, or pullets and cockerels. Thank you for offering! That was very nice of you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Now if he had gone so far as to offer to send you an invoice...that's different to me. The least he could have done is email you to let you know that there was a strong possibility that they might not last. I wonder if he had someone lined up already and you were the back up in case the other sale fell through. Don't like thinkin that way, but....? gotta wonder

No problem! The next time I'll head down to the kansas city area might be soon. I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll check with the people I usually travel with and see what they say. Otherwise I will go back down in March again. [​IMG] Once I find out when it might be I'll let you know right away. What I have more of right now is blues, but could always set up a pen for breeding blacks and get you some chicks possibly.

10. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Oh that would be so wonderful! And acctually the blue wyandotte bantams where my second choice. Then partridge. Lol! So I might be willing to take blue instead. I just chose black because he had them. How much would it be for your chickies? [​IMG]

I was also thinking that I might have been the "backup". I would think that he would have been decent enough to tell me. But I guess not. Maybe I just trust some people to much. But how do you know who to trust and who not to trust when you dont know them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by