Black x Barred, a sex-link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by digitS', Dec 11, 2008.

1. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have read that a Black Australorp sire and Barred Rock dam will produce sex-linked offspring. Did I understand this correctly? The information was in a historical documentfrom Kansas State U. (27 page, pdf format)

I would appreciate knowing if anyone has done this breeding? Or have you used black roosters and barred hens of other breeds? What was the appearance of the offspring?

Steve

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The males should be black with a white spot and the females should be plain black with no spot.

As long as the dam is the one with the silver gene, you should get sex-linked birds.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The males will all have some barring and the females should be solid colored. I have had the sexlinks, all BR hens with Silver Phoenix, EE and a Cochin/Silkie cross rooster. The Phoenix/BR cross yielded three males who looked sort of like BR pullets, with longer tails and ghosty barring. The one pullet from that mating was solid black, a real beauty named Raven, now owned by helmstead. I have the three girls from the Cochin/Silkie cross rooster and BR mom, all black with a slight poufy head and wild zigzag combs. They had a brother who looked just like a BR, except with a poufy crest.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    "black sexlinks" work with the dam having the barring gene and the sire NOT having the barring gene. Anything you cross with a barred rock hen would be sexlinked.

"red sexlinks" work with the silver factor. Again, the dam is white (has to be white from the "silver" gene) and the male is red, the offspring are reversed (males white and females red). Red sexlinking doesn't work if the male carries the silver factor as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by